The brick merchant mill at Waterford was built in 1818 to serve the wheat-growing region in northern Loudoun County. Throughout its history, the mill has been subject to regular alterations in order to keep up with rapidly changing milling technology and over time was stripped of its milling equipment. The Waterford Foundation acquired the mill in 1944 and has worked over the last sixty years to ensure the long term preservation of the mill.
StudioAmmons, working with millwright Derek Ogden and Silman and Associates, has completed a comprehensive study of the mill, and is developing a carefully targeted program of restoration designed to address the mill’s long term stabilization and interpretation. This includes restoring the badly decayed hurst frame that originally supported the mill stones, improving drainage in and around the building, and making necessary structural improvements to ensure the ongoing stability and safety of the structure for The Foundation’s continued use.