109 Bank Street was the home of the Petersburg Intelligencer from 1836 until 1854. In its history it was partially destroyed by fire in 1851 and then took a direct hit from a tornado in 1993 totally destroying the adjacent building that had been built over the Brickhouse Run, a stone walled creek that runs through the heart of Petersburg’s Old Town. Bits of structure remained from the destroyed building and created an opportunity to turn this ruined part of the project into the building’s kitchen and deck space by utilizing the remaining steel beams spanning the creek to re-occupy the area formerly covered by the demolished building’s footprint. New structure was integrated into the three remaining beams and grating was used as part of the new deck to allow for cool air in the summer time to come up from the creek tunnel under the road and keep the outdoor space cool even when its 90 degrees. The kitchen floats over the last remaining portion of original building beams and foundation walls and forms the end wall of the new outdoor deck.